Volume XVI, No. 27

 

Frank Fax Facts

And Reviews

 

Volume XVI, No. 27

Sunday, September 26, 2010

The happiest event of the week, by far, was a visit from niece Sharon Grimley (from Waynesboro). She arrived mid-morning on Wednesday just as I was assembling a huge Chef’s Salad for our lunch, took over the chopping of Cucumbers, bell pepper, to add to my already chopped boiled eggs, tomatoes, chicken breast, onions and everything but the kitchen sink (which is my usual recipe for this delicious lunch special) I had a pound of boiled, peeled shrimp to add to the mixture. I now admit to careless oversight when I report that I had made a trip to Wal-Mart shortly after daylight (since I haven’t driven after dark for eons) just to get some of those scrumptious croutons to add just the right finishing touch, plus bleu cheese, Cheddar, cooked ham slices, and over a dozen items I keep on hand (like capers and salami). But we managed to eat what we had, and only later, did I realize my omissions! I’ll try to remember to send a recipe for the entire salad, plus an old “family” recipe for the dressing.

 

 

 

Joe (Sharon’s rather fabulous husband*) had to work, so was unable to be with us. We had so much fun, just being together again, that the only other thing we did was having her drive me to Home Depot to return some fluorescent light bulbs that I had purchased for a new (after over 35 years) light fixture for the studio; and to the Dollar Tree where she helped me pick out every pair of their wonderful $1 reading glasses (2.50 strength) and six bags of Bugles. Remember those tasty treats? (I know Bill McGlasson and Margie do, because it was they that reminded me that this forgotten delight was still very much on the market.

When Sharon had to go home, I made her promise to let me make her a completed Chef Salad the very next visit.(*About Joe: he is that extra special angel who drove all the way back to Newton, from Waynesboro when I left Ginger there-thinking, she was gone forever, three Easters ago-and then bringing her all the way down here that same night! You don’t think that is fabulous? Well, I certainly do!)

The Chef’s Corner

My own version of a Chef’s Salad

Breast of chicken (cooked and chopped)

Boiled, peeled whole shrimp

Ham slices diced

Genoa Salami (optional)

Romaine Lettuce

Chop fine and add:

Celery

Green Pepper

Cucumber

Onion (green, if available)

White sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)

Stuffed green olives (Chopped)

Fresh Basil (if available) or fresh parsley cut fine)

Cheddar Cheese chunks

Bleu Cheese crumbles

Capers

Seasoned Croutons

Over each bowl of salad, spoon generous amounts of sauce:

COME BACK SAUCE

¼ cup Vegetable oil

¼ cup Chili Sauce

2 T. grated onion

1 T, prepared mustard

1 t/ Black Pepper

Dash of Tabasco

1 cup mayonnaise

2 T. Water

½ cup Ketchup

4 cloves Garlic (minced fine)

1 T. Worcestershire Sauce

Dash of Paprika

Blend until smooth and thick

Chill before pouring over salads

 

Cat Wisdom

Way down deep, we’re all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them”

---Jim  Davis

 

DVD Reviews

“The Damned United” (Sony Pictures Classics)

I rented this DVD because of Michael Sheen’s picture on the cover. I had been so impressed with him in last years’ two films (He was Tony Blair to Helen Mirren’s Queen Elizabeth II, as well as the journalist of “Frost   and Nixon”, giving great performances as both), What I didn’t take into consideration was the fact that I know zilch about British football, and this film is entirely about a rivalry between Sheen (who is coach of one division’s winningest team, and an adversary whom he hates vehemently. I never knew what was going on from start to finish, and unless you are at least a little knowledgeable about the sport, my advice is to skip this one. (No rating).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vignette

Frank Imbragulio’s School Days

Just before the Christmas which produced that “We want 2 weeks for Xmas” revolt”, I felt as if my heart would burst with sheer happiness! I loved our teacher unconditionally, and I must say, she appeared to have the sane opinion of me.

When my turn to read came next, that hot September first day of school, I took up where Mary Beth Lott had left off in the story of Dick Wittington’s cat. I read fluently and without making a single mistake. This was because Mama had me read it with her the night before. This was a pattern that had begun when Rosie started school, over twenty years earlier. Mama always checked all of our hone work, and if anything was wrong, explained why it was not correct. By the time I came along, I was pretty much the only one who needed such close observation, By the time we were in high school, we were considered self sufficient except when math presented a new concept. By the time Mama felt I was ready for third grade, I did so well that the next year (after spending eight weeks of the summer on 4th grade geography, with Josephine, who had just received her teaching certificate from Mississippi State Teachers’ College, in Hattiesburg, I went into the fifth grade. I made my first grade lower than an A the first month of the 8th grade—a mistake that was never corrected. But that will be covered in the chapter(s) on that particular teacher.

Miss Burns was smiling brightly at me as I looked up after reading my paragraph. “That was just fine, Francis,” her voice was so polished and fine that I almost liked my name for the very first time. “Continue, Ruby Lee, is it?” she asked Lois Cullifer’s older sister, All through grade school, there were two sets of sisters in the same grade with me. The Cullifers and Mary and Ora Lee Burnett. I never knew if one of then had failed a grade, thus allowing her sibling to catch up with her, or if they had simply both begun school at the sane time. But I can tell you, you did not want to pick on either of the older girl’s baby sister! Hell had no fury equal to what you ran into!

That first day of school with a whole class of children of my own age, made a memorable impression on me. As I said, knew most of the children who lived in town: Mary Beth was the youngest of the three Lott daughters; Edna Ross (known far and wide as “Sugar”) was in Helen’s class at school. Erin Joy (a.k.a. “Sister”) was between Sammy and George. And Mary Beth (the exquisite beauty) was called “Boy” by her adoring pharmacist father, who had kept wanting a son more than anything else in the world. You’d have thought he would have been thankful for his bevy of beauties!

Jackie Wilson was already one of my closest friends, while his sister, Joan (pronounced Jo Ann) had not yet started to school. Jean, the oldest daughter was in college, and (incidentally) became one of the highest-ranking women in the WACS of World War II.

(To be continued)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 2, 2010